Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Reading list - Buckley

On the advice of my sister to some of us lucky few, I am "reading" (actually, listening) to William F. Buckley, Jr.'s wrting, specifically, his Autobiography.

One of the ideas I'm thinking of taking an interest in is music appreciation with the (younger) kids. Mr. Buckley was required to sit and listen to music at 4 p.m. every day, which was in addition to music lessons. We can only push so much, but even though he hated it at first, it became "habit-forming" after a few months.

1 comment:

D.Cous. said...

I'm not sure I buy that. I was homeschooled as a kid, and pretty much all subjects of study were required, and done with family. If I enjoyed something--reading history, for example--then I would do more of it in my free time. If I didn't enjoy something--say, biology--I didn't take any more interest in it. It was just a chore. Your kids have access to a lot of different musics, and have plenty of opportunity to learn more. I could (of course) be wrong, but I'm not sure that making them sit down and listen to music at a certain point every day will improve their appreciation of it.

On the other hand, I suppose that my mother would've been much happier had I never latched onto rock music the way I have.